April Fundraising Results: Gimme Shelter raised $3,640.55 during our April 2019 Animal Shelter Restaurant Month fundraiser. The breakdown is as follows:
- JaSa Asian Cuisine $170.27
- Le Petit Gourmet Neighborhood Bistro, Books & Co, Legal Grounds Coffee Shoppe $465.28
- Framed, affordable custom framing $300
- The Playwright Irish Pub & Restaurant $300
- Cafe Ibiza Tapas & Wine Bar $305
- Aunt Chilada’s Mexican Restaurant $250
- The Barking Lot of Hamden $100
- Paws ’n Effect, Canine Training Center $300
- Spring Glen Veterinary Clinic $400
- Cafe Amici Italian Ristorante $300
- MiKro Depot, Beer Bar & Gastro Pub $750
In Memory of Officer Mark Gery: At the suggestion of Jackie & Michael Farber from Mikro Depot, our April 2019 donation is being made in the memory of former Hamden Police Officer, Mark “Yogi” Gery. I met Mark by chance before he died. I was hiking with the dogs over by Farm Brook and he was working Special Duty on Hill Street. Our chat was brief and revolved around the young dogs I had with me that day. I was not surprised at all when I found out that in lieu of flowers, donations in his honor were directed to his local animal shelter.
I included this quote from a friend of 15 years, Officer Angela Vey, “Mark Gery was a one-of-a-kind man. He was hard working and an amazing friend, but above all, he loved animals. His two German Shepard’s Panzer & Prosha were the light of his life. It’s almost like they were human, and they just understood one another. I know for sure that Mark is smiling down today knowing this donation is being made in his memory.”
100% of these proceeds in Mark Gery’s memory were forwarded to Acting Chief of Police, John Cappiello, for deposit into Hamden’s Animal Shelter Gift Fund. This is far more than our donation of $1,114 from a similar promotion in April 2018. Your growing support for the first ever Hamden Animal Shelter is being registered with tangible results!
In the meantime: Per their request, Hamden Animal Control vacated the North Haven Animal Shelter on May 1st. This policy of renting cages has been going on since 2005 and will soon be in its 15th year at an approximate cost to taxpayers of $70 per day. As of Thursday, May 16th, Hamden now has animals in 4 different locations. Tax revenue is being used to house 8 dogs at:
- Ridge Hill Animal Hospital (3)
- West Haven Animal Shelter (1)
- Wallingford Animal Shelter (2)
- North Haven Animal Hospital (2)
In our opinion this policy is just going to prolong finding “forever homes” which will only keep accruing rental costs from Hamden taxpayers.
Looking ahead: Gimme Shelter’s next unified show of support will be prior to the November 5th (mayoral) election. We hope to encourage a candidate to name a site for a future Hamden Animal Shelter. Hopefully it will be as adequate as the 15-cage facility that Mayor Leng recently rejected.